Friday, September 5, 2014

budget girls' makeup faves.

I have never been really "into" makeup, but I have favorite items that I stay loyal to because as long as they are working I'm not gonna go looking for something new! If it aint broke, don't fix it. Right? I'm also so cheap when it comes to makeup because I just would much rather spend an extra $20 on a fun dinner out than something for my face, so everything here costs less than $10. Most of this stuff has been in my makeup bag for almost ten years. I like to keep my routine simple, but I guess in some ways I am high maintenance because I will absolutely not leave my house without filling in my brows. I present to you everything that I put on my face on a daily basis:

Step 1: Fill in the brows. Lately I've been using the ELF eyebrow kit. It's $3 and I only use the left side. I like it and the little brush is sufficient for my needs.

Step 2: I apply Maybelline yellow concealer stick around my eyes. I have naturally darker skin there, but am pale in general, so I find this helps balance my face out. I've been using this since high school.

Step 3: I put on a layer of mascara - you know, the Great Lash stuff that everyone has. I wait for it to dry then I carefully curl my lashes. Then I apply another layer or two of mascara. I think this is abnormal? My friend taught it to me in college and I find that my lashes stay curled this way.

Step 4: Revlon liquid liner. I put a thin line around the top top and bottom. I think this may be a beauty faux pas but I like how it looks. I can't use pencil liners because my eyes are naturally really watery and it smears... I prefer not to walk around looking like a raccoon.

Step 5: Ponds' BB Cream. This is one of my friend Meg O.'s recommendations and I love it. I've always had pretty clear skin so I don't wear foundation. Just this year my skin started to change a little and I added this BB Cream (which as far as I can tell is basically tinted moisturizer) to the mix and I can't go back now. It's great. Another of Meg's recs is the Instant Age Rewind Dark Circles Eraser. I just love this and I put this around my eyes now too, sometimes in place of the yellow stick, sometimes on top of it. I like that it brightens up the skin around my eyes.

Step 6: Bronzer and blush. Because of aforementioned paleness I like to warm up my face with bronzer and blush most days. I used to have a MAC bronzer that I loved and it lasted me about five years, suddenly ran out and I didn't want to spend $30 on a new one so I tried this NYX Matte Bronzer which was supposedly a great dupe for the MAC. It's a pretty good match and only cost me $9. My favorite blush is Cover Girl's Soft Mink.

Step 7: Maybe, when I'm feeling like getting really dolled up I'll put on eyeshadow. I used to have a Stila shadow called Kitten which is supposedly one of the most popular eyeshadows of all time. It looks good on everyone. I looked up a dupe for Stila Kitten and found Revlon Infallible in Iced Latte. It's pretty much the same in color, but the texture is off, which is fine. It does the job and costs $4-ish as opposed to $18.

Step 8: Lip balm. Burt's Bees is my top choice, but I also love just the plain old Chapstick brand. This flavor is to die for, but seasonal and very hard to find.

So, that's what's in my makeup bag. Do you use any of the same things? Or do you know of a better budget-friendly product that I should be using instead of one of these?! Spill!



4 comments :

  1. I love that BB Cream but I need to try out that concealer stick! I can't find any concealer that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on the hunt for a good bronzer, I'll definitelu check out the NYX one. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love BB cream and Bronzer. I've heard of the Instant Age rewind but haven't tried it yet. I'll have to try the NYX bronzer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm almost 30 and I have never curled my eyelashes myself. I'm convinced I will rip them all out... so not normal, I know. Similarly, I have never filled in my eyebrows and didn't know that was even a concept until blogging. I barely function as a female, it seems :)

    ReplyDelete