Monday, May 19, 2014

houston art car parade.


Hooray you guys! I got to go see the Art Cars last weekend and it was quite the experience. This was one of the goals I put on my 26 things to do before I'm 27 list. I am slowly burning through it! I should not be so proud of myself this early in the game, but anyway... 

We went with the whole fam when my in-laws were visiting so we decided not to watch the actual parade but to go see the cars as they were parked along the street before the parade started. I think this worked out for the best. I took probably 100 pictures but I narrowed it down to just a few to show you here because nobody likes to scroll forever. 


As we walked around there was a lot of debating on whether each car was street legal or not. We decided most of them probably aren't but I do see some driving around Houston once in a while at other times of the year. 


What a good puppy! Jacob loves German Shepherds. There were a whole bunch of these uh, what to call them? Cholo cars. With hydraulics and crazy sound systems in the trunk and gorgeous sparkly paint jobs. They were a sight to see! It reminded me of that show Pimp My Ride. I loved that show. What do you think Xzibit is doing now? 


Then we have this scary fish thing?


A monster of sorts...


Just to give you an idea of the detail people put into this, a close-up of one of the cars. I mean, that must have taken for-ev-er. 


I'm glad I got to see them all in their parade day glory! It's one of those things that I probably don't need to do every year but maybe every few? 

There were a lot of people on roller blades there and it made me jealous. I used to roller blade all the time but I haven't broken mine out for a couple years, mostly because they are old (my mom's hand-me-downs!) and they hurt my feet now. Maybe I should get a new pair... 

7 comments :

  1. Now I want to take my nieces to the art car museum! I've seen the one with the glasses but the rest are new to me. I love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those cars!! How cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you weren't kidding. These cars are crazy! Glad you had some cool events like this to make up for the bummer ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were out riding our bikes that day, and rode right into the parade! haha It was just before start time, and we had kind of a Forest Gump moment (you know how he just showed up everywhere, like important situations?) but it was so much fun to see the cars! Good, free, fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like fun! Minus the odd fish car and googly eyed monster one, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!! crazy! i have never seen anything like this before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so fun! I wonder if we have anything like that in Boston.

    ReplyDelete