Sunday, November 17, 2013

craigslist cabinets | the first big project

I am so excited to finally be sharing this. It's been a couple weeks since we installed the new cabinets and it's just so much better. I mentioned in the MTV cribs post that we wanted to rip out the cabinets ASAP and that getting new ones would be tricky since we didn't have any dough left. Well we found a deal we couldn't refuse on craigslist a few days later so we decided to do it, even if it meant sacrificing a lot of other things we had been planning to do. The guy who posted them does cabinets professionally, and had ordered these espresso ones for another house... but whoever sent them to him sent double. So he didn't have room to store them, and wanted to get rid of them ASAP! He was willing to sell them & install for less than what we would have paid to buy unfinished ones at Home Depot and install them ourselves. We took it. Jacob talked him down in price even more by offering to remove our current ones himself beforehand, which he was happy with. Man, when those things came out they were even more gross than we had known. Basically rotting! Trust me, you do not want to know what is behind/under your kitchen cabinets if your house is old.

Of course every project ends up being bigger than you plan on. So Jacob removed all the cabinets himself. We decided not to replace the upper cabinets on the right & our brother-in-law Mark helped him take down the soffit that held them. It makes the space feel so much bigger. But enough talk, here are the pictures!

Before:



After: Behold. They look black in this picture, but they are really dark brown, Espresso.


Here's what the kitchen looked like naked. It's pretty surreal to live like this. Not even a microwave! We basically couldn't eat at home for two weeks and I got really sick of Wendy's.



So, you like? We're thrilled with them. Next big project: counter tops. For now we have the old ones on there. They don't look terrible, but not great. We've been planning on DIY concrete ones... I first saw the idea on Pioneer Woman and coincidentally just the other day Mandi posted a question to her readers asking if they have them and if they love/hate them, which is super helpful for me! (Three cheers for Mandi. Hers is one of my fave DIY blogs.)

8 comments :

  1. It looks awesome!! You and your husband are so talented to do that, and I envy your Craigslist find! Good job :) Isn't it funny when you get tired of eating out? The kitchen is the worst room in the house to be out of service. I take that back, the second worst. Bathroom is worst! haha I can't wait to see your counter tops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo! Thanks! Yes, I really love eating out so it's super weird for me to WANT to cook. I do agree about the bathroom thing though. In my last rental the plumbing was always a disaster and there were times we'd have to drive 30 mins to our parents houses to shower every other day. ROUGH!

      Delete
  2. The heinous wood countertops are almost invisible with the pretty new cabinets! What a great find! Your kitchen looks brand new!

    (Remember, I can call them heinous because I have them, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know they are looking so much better. No offense taken, they really are heinous. I'm excited for the day that I don't have to look at them anymore.

      Delete
  3. Wow it looks so modern and classy.. I Love them! what a great find. I wish i had the skill to talk people down on prices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know I'm not the best at it either, I have been getting better. The thing I always tell myself is "clothes mouths don't get fed." If you don't even ask, you will not get a lower price! Sometimes I get the guts, sometimes not so much.

      Delete
  4. Holy moly, it looks so good! It's like having a brand new kitchen! Can't wait to see what you do with the counter tops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's such a different place now! I feel.... rich?! Haha

      Delete