Monday, October 14, 2013

halloween party food: eyeball cake bites!

I'd like to thank Collective Bias® for giving me an excuse to make cake bites into a spooky Halloween dessert by sponsoring this post.


halloween dessert: eyeball cake bites | eyeball juice party drink #halloween #SpookyCelebrations #shop

I can't tell you guys enough how much I love any excuse to make cake bites or cake pops. They are so absolutely delicious. Since we're going to be moving I'm not sure I will have another chance and I really wanted to try these ideas I had for Halloween baking. I thought I should do it early, while my kitchen is still in tact. This kind of cake bite, unlike some others, is not hard to make and decorate at all. They aren't the quickest treat, but they're worth the time and fun to work on with a friend or older kids!

Here's what you need:

M&M's
Cake mix
Frosting
White Candy Melts
Black Sprinkles
Red Food Marker

Basic cake bite tutorial:

Bake the mix according to box directions. Let cool completely. Crumble up with a fork, or your freshly washed hands and mix in a little bit of frosting at a time (I start with 3/4 cup) until you feel like it's sticking together enough that it can be shaped into a ball and crumbs won't fall off. Put them on a plate the freezer for 30 minutes. Heat candy melts according to box directions again, and dip each cake ball into the melted candy coating. Use a fork or skewer, the candy is hot!

For eyeball cake bites: before placing cake balls in freezer make an M&M sized finger print in them so they harden with that indent in them. After dipping cake balls in candy, drop an M&M into it's designated spot. Top with a mini candy eyeball. (tutorial below!)


DIY candy eyeballs | halloween cake bites #halloween #SpookyCelebrations #shop

So these little mini eyeball embellishments were kind of a fluke. I just couldn't find any candy ones small enough to work with the M&M's so I decided to make them myself with the candy melt at the same time I was making the cake bites. It worked like a charm. All I did was make little drops of melted candy onto wax paper and then drop a round black sprinkle in the middle. They weren't round but I just cut the wonky edges off with a knife after they had cooled in the fridge. Voila!

[Below] Exhibit C: The final cake bite. So creepy. But not too creepy. Right?



There just happens to be a coupon for the best kind of Halloween candy pack right now on coupons.com! Gimme all the Twix and Peanut M&M's!
halloween dessert | eyeball juice party drink #halloween #SpookyCelebrations #shop

Also I made a super good punch I like to call "eyeball juice" using Hawaiian Punch and 7UP and some plastic eyeballs I found at the dollar store. They are pretty much ping pong balls. My nephews were huge fans of the punch.They said it tasted like melted popsicle. I submit that it is a compliment...

eyeball juice party drink #halloween #SpookyCelebrations #shop

The ping pong eyeballs float but I had this container with a lid that I could keep them in. They would also be fun floating around in a big punch bowl I think.


halloween eyeball juice party drink | hawaiian punch + 7UP  #halloween #SpookyCelebrations #shop

You can check out a bunch more Halloween treat ideas here or on this pinterest board!




I've always liked dressing up, but the rest of Halloween traditions have never been my jam. I think I am changing my tune, at least about the food part! What's your favorite thing about Halloween?

5 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. I know right!? Thanks for stopping by Rachel!

      Delete
  2. Those are so cool! It seems easy enought that I can make them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachelle! They really are. You can make them to go along with your new diet too! Pumpkin forever!

      Delete
  3. So cute! And I have an eye trick for you-a regular M&M with a mini M&M held on with a dab of frosting. Of course only the brown and maybe the red mini M&Ms work well for that to make the pupil...so you'll just have to eat the rest of the M&Ms. If you're OK with that. ;)

    ReplyDelete