Friday, August 16, 2013

the big purchase that might change my life, etc.

1. Oh my goodness. I did it! I finally bought my first DSLR camera. I started saving for this baby a little over a year ago. I was planning on buying it around my birthday this year (April) but then the big move was way more expensive than I'd realized it would be and I decided to spend my birthday gift money on having a professional take pictures of strapping husband and me. I kept saving though, and last Friday I logged into my Amazon account, entered my shopping cart which the camera had been sitting in forever, and pushed the "complete purchase" button.


2. Can't stop thinking about my fall TV shows! I think because we finished Friday Night Lights last night, I'm looking forward to all the premieres. Just one more month! The shows we watch are: Parks and Rec, Person of Interest, Modern Family, Elementary, New Girl, The Mindy Project, Parenthood and The Mentalist. Oh boy. That's a lot. Should I not have admitted that!?

3. I met a friend in Houston! Whitney and I went and shared a delicious lunch at a cafe called Barnaby's. I found her through a Houston Bloggers link-up, and she was so fun to talk to and get to know in real life. Also, at Barnaby's I got the Guacamole burger and it was to die for. There was more guac than burger, which is amazing because I cannot get enough guacamole. Ever.


4. Husband got a new job! I know, we moved to Houston in May for him to start a new job, and only three months into it he was not loving it. He was planning on sticking it out for at least a year though, until a headhunter called him. They found him on LinkedIn (it really works!) and wanted him to come work for them. They made him an offer he couldn't refuse and he is so excited to be doing something new! He will be responsible for a lot more at this new company, so it's a promotion in all aspects! Now we're looking at houses just a few miles east from where we were looking before.

5. We cleaned and organized closets yesterday and things are better but we're not quite finished. So I have to work on that a little more today but it does feel good to have made some progress. When we moved in we just stuffed boxes in all the closets but slowly we pulled things out and yeah it was just a disaster. I am happy to inform you that we can actually walk in to our walk-in closet now!

This week's craptastic thing: We found this house that we really like and want to go look at, but the realtor on the listings won't call or email us back. We've left four voicemails and two emails. So unprofessional! We're kind of not sure what to do... do we give up on that house or find a buyers realtor to help us go see it? Ugh. So dumb.  

The Vintage Modern Wife: Happies and Crappies Link Up

8 comments :

  1. Hey there! Dropping in by way of the link ups-- I finished all the shows I have been dying to watch on Netflix (Orange is the New Black-- it's awesome) and have been looking for new things to watch.. I tried Parks and Rec but couldn't get into it. What's the Mindy Project about? I'm in love with The New Girl but can only watch it when my fiance isn't around so I save it for "alone time". PS- guac is the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! Parks and Rec is my fave. The first season is a little shaky but once you get past that it's the best. Mindy Project is about a doctor who is single and dating, all her shenanigans. It's really funny, I think you would like it a lot if you like New Girl, it's kinda the same humor!

      Delete
  2. I'm in the same boat - I can't wait for Fall TV to start. I'm ready for New Girl & Castle & NCIS & BONES & The Mindy Project & I should probably stop listing all the shows I watch before I sound like a couch potato.

    Also, you should definitely find a buyer's agent to show you the house if you love it! It was recommended to us by our agent not to buy from the listing agent anyway. Good luck!!

    ~ Cassie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! That is good to hear that we are not the only ones watching tons of shows! Haha. Also thanks for the advice, I have been scared but it's good to hear that a buyers agent is a good idea.

      Delete
  3. Great camera investment! I suggest you invest $100 more and get a 50 mm lens. Will be night and day from your kit lens. Good luck, they are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! that lens is next on my wish list. I have heard only amazing things about it!

      Delete
  4. I live in Houston! :) Well very very north Houston, but still lol. That camera is BEAUTIFUL. I have a Canon Rebel XS that I've had for years and I'm still figuring it out, LOL. Congrats on the hubby's new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really!? Awesome. I love it here so far. I checked out your blog and it's so cute! Following you now!

      Delete