Friday, February 18, 2011

in my kitchen: almost home-made oreo cookies

IMG_1278

IMG_1277

Recipe:
1 box devil's food cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil

Wash your hands, put all ingredients in a bowl. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. The mix is so thick that a mixer won't really do the job and there is no point in dirtying a spoon because that won't really work either! So don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. Use your hands to mix everything together. Once thoroughly mixed, roll into little balls and place onto greased cookie sheet, like pictured above. Cook for about 8 minutes. Take them out and let them cool. After they have cooled completely, fill with your choice of frosting, I probably use about a 2 teaspoons but it's whatever your preference is really. This recipe is easy, pretty quick and always a crowd pleaser. People beg me for these cookies lately. I am happy to oblige.

Wilton Buttercream Icing

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
(approximately 1 lb.-when you buy it in bags it will say how many lbs. is in it)
2 tablespoons milk

A lot of my friends use cream cheese frosting which is divine with these cookies. The reason I used this buttercream is because I made it originally for a Relief Society activity (3 batches!) and then it barely got used so I had to use it so it wouldn't go to waste. No complaints here! It is very yummy and tastes a little more like a classic Oreo. In my opinion a million times better though.

3 comments :

  1. YUM!!! We used to make these all the time...O how I miss homemade Oreo cookies! I am going to make them tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes whit! i remember! i never made them you and syb would always do the work and i would eat them...! i'm sorry? i will bring you some to make up for that sometime

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are my favorite cookies. i want them now. love the new chevron header, btw's. luff you.

    ReplyDelete